Sunday, October 13, 2013

That Night at the Gas Station

Started from Facebook...now I'm here lol....okay it was corny yeah I know. I started this post on Facebook and noticed that was going to be a very long post, so I decided to blog about it. Here goes....


About a year ago or longer, pursuing this Entrepreneur career of mine, I didn't have ANY money. I had a few clients that owed me money but hadn't paid. My car was out of commission and we were only driving my husband's car. My husband's car was a gas guzzler and neither one of us, in our Entrepreneur careers were making much money. I'm sharing this story because I drove by this gas station earlier this evening, I've driven by it time and time again since this situation and it has never made me feel any type of way; good or bad. Okay, so I drive by this gas station earlier this evening, it took me back to the day I drove there at 11:45pm on a Sunday night to get gas. The gas light was on and the car said 0 miles 'til empty. It was me and my husband. The car was soooo raggedy. We had to hold the gear in "D" for drive as we were driving. Yeah, I know, it was not safe BUT we were doing what we had to do. We pull up at the gas station to get gas and our card was declined. I knew we had $20 in the bank to get gas but the card continued to decline. I logged on to online banking to see what was going on, only to find out that an unauthorized transaction had hit our account and took the last $20 we had, plus overdrew our account. We lived approximately one mile away from the gas station. My husband got back in the car, he looked and me and I burst out crying, in tears saying, "I don't know what we're going to do." He kept telling me to stop crying. I believe I was making him nervous. I asked aloud but was really talking to myself, "How are we going to get the kids to school? How are we going to get back home?" I was so stressed and depressed, I couldn't pray. I wanted to pray but I couldn't. I was crying as though I had just received bad news saying someone close to me passed away. It was one of those type of cries.

We made it back home and my husband's brother ended up giving him a ride to take the kids to school the next morning. Later that day, we borrowed $20 from a friend to put gas in the car  and my husband got a few calls for haircuts. At the time, he was cutting hair at his grandma's house. We drove there for him to cut hair, he made a little money but not much.

Now, getting to where we are today. As I drove by that gas station tonight, I said to myself, "I remember when we didn't have anything. I remember when we were at the gas station and I was crying because we had no money to buy gas and look how far we have come by God's grace. Look where we are now; rental property, successful business and money in every account we have.

I write this to say that your dreams CAN and WILL come true if you only believe. Believe that God CAN and WILL do miraculous things in your favor, in your life. Live according to his word and he will show you. Through the midst of every storm I've had to walk through, I continued to give God his praise. Today, we are still not where we want to be but we know this is all apart of God's plan on where he's taking us. I'm almost in tears now because it's tough and God has taken us a mighty long way from where we were. If we're connected via any social network, you'll see me talk about running a small business and being an Entrepreneur is hard and everyone will not make the sacrifices that me and my husband make to follow our dreams. This story relates to that. I hold two degrees but I choose to do something else. Criminology is no longer a passion of mine and I like to believe that the work I currently do is social work with pay. I run into people all the time who get a job to "fund their business" but end up staying at that job forever or at least, longer than planned and still don't have the money they need to "fund their business." I'm a risk taker. I'm not afraid of anything because I know God is with me and for me and if God be for me....y'all know the rest. :-)

As long as my kids have food to eat, clothes on their backs and a roof over their heads, we're okay. I'm cool going without, as long as my children are okay.

I'm done. I just wanted to share something with other Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners. Never give up on your dreams. If you can, stretch yourself a little, take a little risk if you're afraid of a big risk. You will never know what may be if you don't at least try. TRY! I'm not telling you anything I won't do or haven't done. TRY!!!

Peace and blessings :) thanks for reading.