Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Business Owner vs Self Employed

Did you know there's a difference between a business owner and being self employed? A business owner's business will continue to operate when he/she isn't there. Someone who is self employed, is just that....self employed. If he/she is sick or traveling out of town, then they're business is somewhere probably closed because he/she is the only employee of the company.

I do a lot of networking on Facebook and I see a lot of profiles that read, "Self Employed and Loving It!" Ummm....I'm self employed and I don't love it. When I'm sick or kids are sick, when I want to travel for leisure or travel for business, guess what?! My business is closed. My company is not open for business. There are some things that need to change and I mean change ASAP. I don't like my current situation so I'm changing it. People say, "Makeva you need to rest, you need some sleep." No one is living in my house, paying my bills, helping me care for my kids. Therefore, I need to work. I'm keeping my head above water but that is not good enough for me. My personality is not a "keep my head above water" personality. I dream BIG and I will obtain BIG.

My thoughts run 100 miles per hour. There are so many business ventures I want to visit. Who says I can't? JayZ is a rapper, designer, business owner. Why can't I? My father says I can have whatever I want as long as I walk upright. I'm excited about being a business owner but it is taking quite some time to get where I want to be. I get nervous when I read Tyler Perry's story how he was, at one point, homeless and sleeping in his van but look at him now. Yes, I want the success but I don't want it to get to that before I get there. I have to keep telling myself, Lord I have to live life according to your purpose and if that's where you want to take me to get to my final destination then I have to accept that. That's a level of Faith, which is a whole 'nother blog topic so I won't go there right now.

There are some things I'm working on that God told me I can have. I'm playing Checkers (because I don't know how to play Chess) I'm just waiting on my move. When God says I can have something, that means he's going to give it to me. He's not going to give it to me himself, but he will allow me to meet the RIGHT investors, he's going to allow me to meet the RIGHT donors who believe in my vision and are willing to help and the RIGHT support network will keep me rooted and grounded. Sooo business owner or self employed. Where are you and where do you want to be?